Reducing the Homework Burden No more homework for children of Classes I and II: New HRD ministry orders.
As per an official order, the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has banned assigning homework for students of Classes 1 and 2.
When it comes to homework, there is more than what meets the eye. There is a common perception that more homework means more learning. However, recent studies have shown that its impact on children is quite the opposite of what we have been led to believe.
It is quite a common sight to see school children doing homework until their bedtime. Ask any school going child, and he will tell you that it is not unusual to spend three to four hours on homework daily. But, does the amount of time spent on homework translate into knowledge acquisition, skills or develop a love for learning. Khaitan Public school, Ghaziabad, one of the best CBSE schools in Ghaziabad, answers all your questions.
Planning is the only rescue
Children have different brain abilities. If a child lacks focus, has problems with reading or doesn’t have good memory, it doesn’t mean that he is destined to spend the rest of his life with homework. Instead of constant aggression and lecturing, parents and teachers should put their ardour in the right direction. It would be helpful to analyse all problems and come up with plan which will be suitable for the child. Here are some tips which could be taken into consideration to reduce the homework burden: –
- Teachers should provide details about the estimated time to do each assignment to the students. This will give them an idea how much time they have to spend on homework.
- Parents should help their children in the process but do not interfere.
- Give your child some delicious snacks while he is captured by homework. This will cheer him up.
- Child’s self-esteem should be boosted in the process. Tell them about their achievements so that he is aware of his improvements.
- Help to maintain a positive attitude. This makes the learning process easier.
Summing up, it can be said that, the tasks given to the school children should be focused, manageable and attainable.
Khaitan Public School, Ghaziabad, one of the best CBSE schools in Ghaziabad has been leading the way when it comes to implementing homework policies in the school. Our approach to learning has always been about gaining knowledge and skills rather than parroting.